The Southern Food & Beverage Museum is a nonprofit living history organization dedicated to the discovery, understanding and celebration of the food, drink and the related culture of the South. While based in New Orleans, the Museum examines and celebrates all the cultures that have come together through the centuries to create the South’s unique culinary heritage. SoFAB also hosts special exhibits, demonstrations, lectures and tastings that showcase the food and drink of the South.
- The food and drink of the American South in all its aspects;
- The many ethnicities – African-American and Caribbean, French and German, etc. -- that have combined to create unique Southern food and drink traditions;
- The farmers, fishermen, and hunters and gatherers who have produced the food;
- The processors, inventors, chefs and business people who run the restaurants and stock our stores with Southern products, and the home cooks and families who have passed down recipes and food traditions for generations.
The Southern Food & Beverage Museum first opened on June 7, 2008 at the Riverwalk Marketplace in New Orleans, Louisiana. After six years of growing in that location, SoFAB re-opened on September 29, 2014 in the former Dryades Street Market at 1504 Oretha Castle Haley Boulevard in New Orleans. Located inside SoFAB are The Museum of the American Cocktail’s (MOTAC) New Orleans collection and La Galerie d’Absinthe. See the full list of our current exhibits here.
Hours: Wednesday through Monday, 11:00 AM to 5:30 PM
Bringing a group? See our Group Visit Page to enhance your visit.
- Adults: $10.50 per person
- Students (with ID), Military, and Seniors over 60: $5.25 per person
- Children Under 12 (with an adult): Free
Street parking is available, or you can take the St. Charles Streetcar line to Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and walk three blocks to Oretha C. Haley Boulevard.
Many thanks to the sponsors of the Southern Food and Beverage Museum. To see a full list of the National Food & Beverage Foundation sponsors, please see our Sponsor Page here.