Normally this blog is the National Food & Beverage Foundation's place to write about what we're doing, to describe the exhibits we have on display, to share stories from our events, and to ask you to support our organization in many different ways. In light of the massive flooding that has affected much of the state we call home, we're going to focus instead on how you can support everyone else here in Louisiana.
There are so many homes and businesses, lives and livelihoods that have been severely affected or destroyed by these unprecedented floods. In New Orleans the ground is dry, but we know what it means to have your normal life so violently disrupted. If you're looking to help, there are plenty of options out there. For locals, many restaurants, bars, coffee shops, and local organizations are serving as collection points for donations, including our neighbors Church Alley, Dryades Public Market, and Rouses. You can see a full list here showing how to donate money, food, and other needs from NOLA.com: http://www.nola.com/weather/index.ssf/2016/08/baton_rouge_flooding_new_orlea.html
Here are a few other ways you can help:
- Volunteer information from Volunteer Louisiana here: http://www.volunteerlouisiana.gov/
- Second Harvest is collecting food and cleaning supply donations, and accepting donations online: http://no-hunger.org/disaster-response/
- Crescent City Farmer's Market is collecting food and other necessities to send to farmers affected by the flooding: http://www.crescentcityfarmersmarket.org/index.php?page=flood-donations
- Any group or corporation intending to donate, cook or serve food can email firstname.lastname@example.org and they will be connected to the parish nearest them or with the most need.
- Local Breweries host fundraisers: NOLA Brewing is raising money witha raffle and suggested donation (https://www.facebook.com/events/1577689609200995/) and Urban South Brewing is holding a fundraiser on Friday (https://www.facebook.com/events/1287952297883296/permalink/1288708341141025)
Please let us know if there is anything else we can add to this page!