The Southern Food & Beverage Museum, Delgado Community College and John E Koerner & Co., Inc., present the second Annual New Orleans Big Top Cake Competition and Bakery Carnival!
Taking place at the museum on June 24, 2017, the Big Top Cake Competition allows professionals, home bakers, and students to showcase their finest cake decorating techniques to our team of professional judges and the public. This year the theme is “It’s Happy Hour Somewhere!”
The competition will be judged by professional judges as well as the public! You get to vote for the best cake with the People's Choice award while enjoying samples of the tasting cakes and other treats from the Bakery Carnival, a showcase of local bakeries sampling out their favorite sweet and savory creations.
Schedule of Events
- 11:00 AM: Doors open to the public, voting and tasting can begin!
- 11:00 AM: "Anyone Can Decorate a Cake" Demonstration from Angela Wilson, Pastry Instructor, Delgado
- 12:30 PM: "Cocktails to Dessert" Demonstration from Cesar Barachina, Executive Pastry Chef, Pearl River Resort
- 1:30 PM: Last chance to vote! Turn in your ballots!
- 2:00 PM: Winners announced and awards awarded
- 3:00 PM: Bakery Entrepreneurship Panel: SoFAB, John E. Koerner & Co., Inc, and Delgado Community College will host a Bakery Entrepreneurship Panel discussion at 3:00 PM exploring ways to start a bakery, the legalities of selling products, and how to get help.
Samples are first come first serve. Attendance to all events of the day is free with museum admission ($10.50 for adults, $5.25 for students, seniors, and military). You can pre-purchase general admission here, but you can also pay at the door.
Admission includes a ballot to vote for your favorite decorated cake and your favorite Bakery Carnival treat. Stuffing the ballot boxes is fully encouraged, so we'll have extra ballots for purchase! There will be a beverage station with drinks for purchase from Delgado.
Join the Competition!
We've extended the deadline to June 15th for entering the competition!
The winner of the professional cake contest will have their cake displayed in the Southern Food & Beverage Museum for the upcoming year, and the student category winner will receive admission to the three-day Pastry Live in Atlanta. Other prizes include kitchen equipment from KitchenAid, cookbooks from Wiley Publishing, supplies from King Arthur Flour, and a one-of-a-kind glass blown trophy by Rosetree Blown Glass Studio.
Proceeds from event will sponsor SoFAB's Pastry Entrepreneurship Day. The Cake Competition and Bakery Carnival serve to highlight local businesses while helping to build the pastry community at the same time
Thanks to our sponsors for their generous support to make this event possible.