Making cookies is a long standing tradition in the South--is there a better way to combine our love of family recipes, passion for decorating, and hospitality? If you're one of the cookie obsessed bakers, spending hours in the kitchen with your mixer each December, perfecting your craft with Southern Living's latest cookie issue or pulling down the box of grandma's butter-splattered recipes, we want you! Enter SoFAB's Holiday Cookie Contest and show the world that your cookies really are the best in the land.
We're encouraging home bakers from the New Orleans area to enter our first cookie contest. You'll just need to bring a dozen of your most delicious holiday offerings to the Southern Food & Beverage Museum on December 11, and we'll let our judges take it from there to decide. Children aged are also encouraged to enter the competition, with cookies they've made at our Kids in the Kitchen cookie program earlier that day, or with cookies made at home.
We're excited to offer free admission for Louisiana residents and Louisiana students all day! Free admission is made possible by support from Domino Foods, Inc.
Our grand judging team will be made up on pastry chefs, writers, and cookies lovers. Judging will take place in the Rouses Culinary Innovation Center at the Southern Food & Beverage Museum on Sunday, December 11 beginning at 1:30 PM.
Prizes will be given based on impartial decisions from our panel of judges in the following categories:
- Best Tasting, Kids, ages 7 -11
- Best Tasting, Kids, ages 12-15
- Best Decorated, Kids, ages 7-11
- Best Decorated, Kids, ages 12-15
- Best Tasting, Adults
- Best Decorated, Adults
- Deliver one dozen cookies per entry on a disposable plate by 1 PM on December 11. The museum opens at 11 AM.
- Provide a recipe for each of your entries and a note telling us your name, whatever it is you call your cookie, and where the recipe came from. It’s cool to use a recipe from a recent book or one your grandmother gave you forty years ago. Just credit your source. If you made up the recipe yourself, that’s also cool.
- Enter only cookies which you mixed and baked yourself! And they have to be cookies! Not candies, fruitcakes, or cute little pies. The judges will decide if something is not a cookie.
- Anyone can enter! (except for current employees of SoFAB). You don’t have to be on premises when judging concludes at 2:00, but make sure you leave contact information!
Each category winner will get:
A Friends and Family Membership to the National Food & Beverage Foundation (parent organization of the Southern Food & Beverage Museum) and a carefully selected cookbook. More prizes may be offered if deemed necessary!
Questions? Email us at email@example.com.